Jannik Heiland is one of the most successful vaulters in Germany. With many national and international titles and his last triumph at the World Cup 2017/2018 ending up third (just as last year) he is definitively an athlete to have an eye on for the World Equestrian Games in Tryon 2018. Read on and train like Jannik!
Lunger: Winnie Schlüter
Achievements in Vaulting:
Vize European Junior Champion 2010
German Champion Juniors 2010
German Champion Seniors 2012
3rd German Championships 2017
2nd World Cup Madrid 2016
1st World Cup Mechelen 2016
2nd Place World Cup Leipzig 2017
3rd World Cup Final 2017
2nd World Cup Madrid 2017
1st World Cup Leipzig 2018
3rd World Cup Final 2018
Started vaulting at the age of: About 10
I could perfectly live without: Getting up early
Motto: Be in harmony with your horse as much as possible.
1. With which 3 words would you describe yourself?
Humorous, focused and versatile.
2. What was your funniest vaulting moment?
When I was visiting Thommy and Vik the first time, their Mum had made a cake and put it in front of the house and I stepped in it with my feet because I thought it was a floor mat.
3. How are you doing at the moment with your trainings?
At the moment training is going pretty well, I guess. The World Cup season is finished, which was pretty successful.
4. What are your goals for this season?
To qualify for the FEI World Equestrian Games!
5. What is ALWAYS in your training bag?
First of all, I try to have my training bag always with me which is unfortunately not always the case 😉
6. Who makes your competition catsuits?
A special seamstress from Braunschweig.
7. Some vaulters use different surcingles for compulsories and freestyle, do you?
8. What model of shoes do you prefer and why?
At the moment I am wearing vaulting shoes from Bleyer including laces. It is a modification, which Tina Boe was using first.
9. Can you list the main products you compete with?
– Surcingle: Meinecke/ ES Vario (S)
– Pad: Felt Pro Pad
– Shoes: Bleyer (with laces)
10. Do you have sponsors? What is your relationship with them and how do they help you exactly?
Together with Thommy and Vik we are glad to have three sponsors:
– Itzehoer Versicherung (insurance): They support us with equipment, insurance and monetary.
– Böckmann Fahrzeuge GmbH: They support us with equipment and two horse trailers.
– Krüger Aviation GmbH: They support us with a towing vehicle. Furthermore it’s my employer, so I have never trouble to get one or two days off for the competitions.
We always have a close relationship to our partners!
Furthermore, I get vaulting shoes from Bleyer as well as horse care products from Effol. These companies are supporting the „Bundeskader“ (German national cadre).
11. If you had to invent a new product for the vaulting community, what would you create?
Maybe vaulting shoes which automatically stretch your feet.
12. What would you improve in the Vaulting World?
I would appreciate if the time limit in the individual freestyle and technical test would be raised to 1.20 minutes like it is in the World Cup so you would have especially more time for your choreography.